Re: [A/S] problem brakes

You get vacuum from the engine manifold, far better vacuum with gasoline
than diesel which sometimes has an auxiliary vacuum pump. Vacuum is used
in many recent vehicles to run the heater and air conditioner controls.

My dad built a camper about 1957, and used a vacuum clutch shifting
cylinder from a 32 Dodge and its control valve to pull on the brake
cable to run the brakes. He had a string under the dash that he (or I)
pulled to apply the trailer brakes.

Today you'd have to find a valve and link it to the brake pedal in the
tow vehicle and run plumbing to the back and a flex hose to the trailer.
I doubt any vehicle inspector would approve it.

I'd think electric brakes. The scuttlebutt on this list has been that
they are a lot more expensive in a RV shop than a horse trailer shop.

Gerald J.