Re: [A/S] newbie questions

I guess bigger is better when towing, but we tow a 29 ' 74 International
with a 89 Ford Crown Victoria with no major problems. Granted it takes a
little while to get up to highway speed, but then she cruises along just
fine. The electric brakes on the trailer help you stop. I planted her
all eight wheels skidding the first time out and she stopped in line
with no problem.
The thing I found was that you have set up the tow bar correctly. If the
hitch eualizers are not chained down far enough, the front end will
"bob" and you can lose control. About the second day out, I clamped her
down one more link on each side and she roaded fine. It is not so much
the power of the tow vehicle, but the set up of the hitch. Without the
load equalizer clamped down tight enough, I had to compensate for trucks
and SUV passing us on express ways ie. going the same direction. The air
wash from the SUV or semi pushes against the side of the trailer as it
moves by you. You steer to compensate for that and then when the air
wash ceases, you find you are steering toward the left or the passing
vehicle! Most disconcerting the first time it happens. I'm not sure what
to do about that other than to leave lots of travel time and become a
"two laner". Hensley Arrow and Pullrite, have solutions to this effect
or so their videos would promise. (:-))

--

                  John P Sargeant