RE: [A/S] Aluminum

Bob - just jumping in here - hope you don't mind.

Don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that one would
want to coat an airstream with acrylic lacquer period.
Nor do I think Airstream has ever done this. The
expansion/contraction of the aluminum during variances
in weather conditions would crack it, and eventually
(in a short time) it'd just fall off. That's why they
use plasticote, which if I'm not mistaken is a
flexible polymer based coating.

> To suggest that we can get out there with our
> sprayers and clear coat an
> Airstream is definitely something I would never do.

I agree here - although the new Bambi 16 engineers are
using a flouropolymer that is new to airstream (made
by PPG)- one of the benefits of this new coating may
be it's ease/expense of application (one of the goals
of the bambi 16 was economy)- potentially offering the
airstream consumer more options for reasonable
maintenance of their airstream body.

>Also the "experience" of the
> painting service does
> not guarantee a 10 year finish.  If they were doing
> the same job as the
> stock airstream it would last more like 20 years.

I'd imagine that what is "guaranteed," and what is
"achieved" are two different things.

> The experts on the list have always counseled me NOT
> to re-coat the clear
> coat.

For a good reason - If you are polishing, you're more
likely going to prefer the "polished look" meaning,
that you will eventually, and continually re-polish -
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to clear coat it
if you are just going to strip it off to "shine it up"
again.

When I saw Scott's trailer (in pictures) it seemed to
have a fine "like new" look to it -- much like RJ and
Krista's Caravel.  If that's the look you are going
for, (rather, if that's what I* was going for) I'd
have it clearcoated.  In the other hand -- if you are
going for shiniest airstream at the internationals,
don't bother, 'cause you'll be working at it
continually.

cha-ching - that's my 2 cents

Toby
WBCCI 2029 VAC