[A/S] Brake

I rencently purchased a 1956 Bubble.  I am looking for information on
the brakes.  It has a master-cylinder on the tongue with a rod coming
out that lifts upward.  Nothing else is there and I am wondering if
anyone can tell me what is missing and how to get what is needed to
get them working properly.  I was told it would cost around $1ooo.oo
to change over to electric brakes. I would really appreciate any help
with this or sources or people who could.
Thanks
Jim