Re: [A/S] Exhaust brakes

Depends.  With a stick shift there should be no problem.  With an
automatic there is a chance the trans will overheat if it is not
"locked up."  The shear in an unlocked torque convertor will create a
lot
of heat and can destroy an automatic.  This can cause the manufacturer
to void your warranty.  Moral: get the lockup kit with an exhaust brake
if you have an auto trans.  If you don't get the lock up kit you will
get little braking anyhow.  My tranny does not heat up with the lockup
kit.  The cruise downhill into Osoyoos caused a tranny temp of about
120 to 125F.

And, FWIW, I would recommend a tranny temp gauge for any towing
application.  I like being able to know just how hot the tranny is.
But that is partly because I have already have one tranny blow from
overheating.  When the idiot light comes on for transmission
overheating it announces that you have just spent $3,000.