The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

RE: [a/s] First time out... shock absorbers

Greg, I am glad that you enjoyed your first Airstream trip. I changed out
the shocks on my '76...what a difference. The shocks are Monroes, but I am
not sure about their availability other than an Airstream dealer for about
three times what they should cost. I would try another RV dealer. The only
tricky thing is getting the top rubber into place. Some people advise
splitting the rubber. The Airstream dealer that I went to, (it was the
middle of winter) bent the mounting plate out, I think, and then bent it
back. I really found a difference in the towing and in the condition of  the
interior items after replacing the tires and shocks.
Good Luck!
george