The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] My First Tow: A Lesson in Fear

No, but it will sure cut it down.

My own moment of terror came while towing a boat (26 feet long plus outdrives,
10 feet 3 inches wide) on a trailer through multilane traffic in Saudi Arabia.
I went to a good deal of trouble to position the axles correctly on the trailer
so as to have proper tongue weight.  What I didn't reckon with was the large bow
flare on the boat (a Bertram sportfisherman) which at higher speeds generated
increasing lift until in fact it lifted the rear wheels of the tow vehicle clear
of the ground.  The tow vehicle was permanent 4WD (a Range Rover) so I didn't
lose it altogether, but by the time I got the rear wheels back on the ground the
adrenalin was sure flowing.  Couldn't brake, that would have slewed the tow
vehicle sideways ... just had to keep applying power and slow down very gently
... after that, never exceeded 40 mph with that particular rig!

In this country you would need an oversize permit for that rig anyway.

John
--
Susi and John Burchard
Tepe Gawra Salukis