The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] what do these acronyms stand for?

Doc, we have an '88 Limited 34' and are
very well pleased with it.  Our neighboring
friends have a 32' Excella 1000 and they
are delighted.  Some of the 32 foot models presented some problems in
towing and I think you would want to have
the hitch professionally mounted by a very
knowledgeable party.  Or consider the
Hensley Arrow hitch -- probably the best
consideration.  The abbreviations you list
relate to the configuration of the interior --
the sb probably means "side bath", and
I won't even hazard a guess on the others.
Price seems a trifle high but the new A/C
and fridge replaced recently makes the
price acceptable providing all other parts
and appearance are in good to fine shape.
Consider the awnings, any oxidation or dents,  carpet/flooring
especially the sub-
flooring which in 88 was probably the
improved but nonetheless "chipboard".
Great as long as it has not been wet.  Look for signs of deterioration
around the
toilet, base of the fridge, under the sink/
lavatory, and around the entrance.  These
are the locations most likely to have been
exposed, but leaks in the roof can cause
considerable wetting of the flooring and
deterioration anywhere around the outer
perimeter of the shell.

Check the frame for rust,or evidence that rust has been covered over.
Trailer tires (and not automobile tires) can be expensive; are the tires
good?  Special trailer tires such as Goodyear's Marathon carry the ST
designation on the side wall.  An LT (light truck) tire is fine.
Preferably 8 ply.  Look for cupping, feathering, or wear on the inner or
on the outer edges
of the tires.

And it should go without saying that all
utilities should be properly functioning: the
water heater, the furnace and even though
they are replacements, the A/C and fridge.

All in all, it sounds good to me!

Donald in Melbourne, FL
kribbs4ASNET@webtv.net