The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

[a/s] Pop goes the dent

My 1966 Safari has thicker skin than todays models.  I just mention this so
that this question doesn't get sidetracked before it gets answered.

In the front corner of the unit there is a subtle but large indentation.
You can hardly notice it, uneless your aiming for a perfect restoration :)
You can see it on my home page:  http://members.home.net/bobkiger

A neighbor lent me one of those suction cup tools used by body shops to pull
out dents.  I attached it firmly and tugged away.  The offending indentation
popped right out, but as soon as I removed the suction cup, it popped back
to the offending position.  I did this about 10 times and then gave up.

Is there a way to get the aluminum on my 1966 hull to memorize the new
pulled out position? (heat, cold, chemical)

Thanks,
Bob Kiger aka Cruiser Bob
myairstream@home.com is a restored 1966 Safari