The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] Rivets Rivets Rivets

> As to removing old rivets on planes and Airstreams, I guess they just drill
> them through and let them clang around inside the hull.

Not much else to do with "pop" rivets, which used to be known as "blind" rivets
because that was where you used them, where you couldn't get at the other side

> My point is that there are are certain applications where rivets have been
> used against harder metals like hinges and where they could have more
> effectively used through bolts made of Stainless Steel with nylon lock
> washers.

No argument on that point.  A soft rivet in hard metal is a poor idea.  Of
course, there are steel rivets, but that's a different chapter.  Some of those
have to be inserted and "riveted" while red hot.

> I am also carrying a Olympic rivet gun and shaver in my kit.

Now we come to the point of my reply, which is to ask, how does an Olympic rivet
gun differ from those used to set ordinary "pop" rivets; and how exactly does
the shaver work ... I have heard one can do a crude job of shaving with a
grinder such as a Dremel tool ... ???  this curious mind wants to learn more.