The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

RE: [a/s] Tires

Don, I have used Goodyear Marathon's
since they came out:  it is the special
trailer tire with resistance to ultraviolet
and other ecological hazards. I have a
set now on my '80 - 31footer that have
been on it since 1991.  They still have
good tread but are beginning to show
signs of "dry rot" (old-age wrinkles made
worse by not getting enough exercise;
tires are meant for rolling! ).

If you are going to put a lot of mileage
on your tires, you could do better, IMHO,
with a first line steel-belted radial (maybe
an LT -- light truck -- tire.  However, I do
not like Michelin: the side walls are too
pliable for a trailer and they are overpriced.  The Bridgestone has a
reinforced bead and stouter side wall,
but other top brand LT's have a stronger
side wall.

You are to be commended for having a
competent service center check you out
before you hit the road. Have fun while
you can still run -- I'm 81, sittin' in the
sun.

Donald at Port O'Call, Melbourne, FL
kribbs4ASNET@webtv.net       #2875