The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

RE: [a/s] New to Airstream

Dear Gary,
	So many questions . . . so little time.  My 1966 Safari was procured in
Oregon.  All systems were made to work over time.  That includes all lights,
heater, AC, kitchen appliances, LP gas lights and plumbing.  There was quite
a bit of work involved bringing these into working order.  I have seen
others that had to rip everything out.  I prefer having a stock unit.

Finishing the hull, if it does not have lots of dents, is tedious but
methodical.  Look up Bill Scott's treatise on the subject of polishing.  I
posted it last week.  Older units have white water and black water tanks.
My trailer has electric brakes which work well after I replaced the pads.
Look for a sound hull and a trailer where most of the systems work.  Try
using it with house batteries.  If it is in apparent good shape then start
looking carefully at the details.

Best of luck

Bob Kiger aka Cruiser Bob
myairstream@home.com