The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] fresh water tank woes

This recent discussion reminded me that a few months ago I wrote the
following to the list which continues to be applicable, I believe.

John Hilty wrote -
Recently, there was a post (which it looks like I unfortunately deleted)
that had attachments about problems with A/S trailers and a question
about the RVCG ratings (low) of current production Airstream trailers.
No one had any comments on this issue. It made me wonder if all you guys
have your heads in the sand and ownership has clouded your ability to be
objective. While I was considering this, I remembered a couple of
things, sort of philosophical observations about products, that I have
made over the years. I remember seeing an ad in a motorcycle magazine a
few years ago (mid 80's), back before Harleys had become all the rage
that they are now, and they still needed to advertise. The ad had a
large picture of a motorcycle salvage yard with frames, handlebars,
wheels, gas tanks, etc. extending to the horizon.  There was only a
caption below the picture and it said, "Do you see a Harley anywhere in
this picture?"  Now, Harley has never been noted for the reliability of
their motorcycles. They have always been idiosyncratic and sometimes
downright hostile to their owners. Has that stopped masses of dedicated
Harley riders from proclaiming them as the ONLY motorcycle that is worth
riding? I perceive that this is as much about the personal statement
that one makes by riding this cycle, and the social group that one gains
entry to by riding a Harley as it is about the purely objective factors
of quality of manufacture.

With this in mind, I compared my own evaluation and thinking of the
Airstream question. I see allot of old travel trailers rotting along the
sides of the road. I don't see Airstreams. There is a small industry
built around the restoration and use of the Airstream. One can find
parts and service for OLD Airstreams. There is a support group for
Airstream owners that virges on the fanatic. Like Harley, there may be
some idiosyncratic problems. Harley riders rejoice in them almost. They
seem to think that suffering with them is part of proving they are
manly, or something. To a lesser extent Airstreamers may be like this
too.  Apparently, if they experience problems, those are part of the
experience, which is as much about sharing experience with others as it
is about the concerns of problem free living. After all, personal growth
is only really achieved through dealing with adversity and confronting
situations in life.
--------------------------

We had quite a discussion concerning the Quality of the new Airstreams
and this new round of problems which we see now may say that the
problems continue at Jackson Center. It is pretty discouraging to me to
hear that $50,000 plus units still have the kinds of issues discussed of
late. On the other hand, I helped Jerry Flanders locate a '91 Limited
awhile back, and it was one of the nicest I could imagine. I saw no
symptoms of these kinds of problems. My own '90 Excella has what I
consider to be great workmanship. My feeling is that Hunter is correct
about this being a very recent problem at Jackson Center. For those of
us who do not want to go the vintage or even the early '90s route, the
best advice may be to buy a used A/S after the warranty work is
completed and the original buyer has spent the money and time to fix all
the the problems.

One thing is sure though, no matter what the factory literature says,
Wally Byam has left the building.

John H.