The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

[a/s] Quick "Dry" Wash

This week I had to uproot my 66 Safari from its home at the Mira Mar Mobile
Community to get the unit registered in California.  Since moving it out and
then back in is a bit of a hassle I decided to get as many tasks done as
possible while out.

I spent two days camped out at a trailer maintenance facility fixing 5
systems that were problematic.  Then I decided to take the rig to a
beautiful spot or two and get some good pictures for future use, including
sending to this group.

I was running late in the PM and needed a quick wash without disrupting the
maintenance guys, so I filled a bucket with water and a little "Greased
Lightning".
Then I used my windshield washer to scrub down the aluminum panels starting
at the top.  I used the squeegee to clear off the water and a rag for final
drops.  The result was a squeaky clean Airstream as you will see from the
photos coming soon.

Bottom line is that aluminum hulls and glass act a lot alike when it comes
to washing.  Both are smooth and squeegee well.  Give it a try.  It also
saves lots of water and could be invaluable for boondockers.

Bob Kiger aka Cruiser Bob
myairstream@home.com is Vintage 1966 Safari