The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] Axle ratio

I had an '86 Suburban, 454, AT, 4.10 with which I pulled a 31'.  It did a
really fine job.  Got aboput 9 mpg towing, 12 mpg solo.  This was not the
newer fuel injected, computer controlled engine, so current models may
perform differently.  In retrospect, I believe the 3.73 axle would also do a
good job, with, perhaps, better economy, especially when solo.  A lot
depends on the % time towing and the terrain over which you plan to travel.
Interstate Highway travel is the easiest and most economical; back roads and
steep grades are tough, but more scenic/fun.  Godd Luck!