The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

[a/s] Weekend from hell

Well, I finnally was able to take my 67 Tradewind out for a weekend trip.
We headed up to northern michigan from the southern border.  After 60 miles
we stopped to see some friends when we discovered the back compartment door
with license plate attached had fallen off.  So we backed tracked the sixty
miles hoping to locate it, but to no avail.  While driving down the road
looking for the lost piece, I hit a road construction barrel and destroyed
the awning arm to a new awning.  At this point we were ready to call it
quits.  But fiquring what else could go wrong, we proceeded on.  After
traveling two hundred miles in eight hours in torrential rains, I looked at
my wife and told her it is so dark I could not see and I smelled something
burning.  Well I couldn't see because of the black smoke filling the truck.
She wisely suggested that since flames were coming out of the center
console, we should pull over.   So much for our weekend!  But if anybody is
wondering if a thirty-three year old fire extinquisher still works - it
does!  Damage is estimated at only $10,000 to $12,000.

I promised several listees a report on using a Ford Explorer to pull the
A/S.  It pulled fine and I expiereanced no problems with swaying, etc.  But
I rented a Ford F250 with a V-10 to bring the trailer back home.  That was
nice. I could not tell I had a trailer on the back.  I had trouble keeping
my speed down, what a nice truck!  I would suggest anybody considering a SUV
to rent a truck for a weekend and make the comparison.  My conclusion - I
wouldn't want to drive a 3/4 ton pu on a regular basis due to its size and
the amount of running around I have to do on a daily basis and the fact I
only mostly go on weekend trips in the fifty-sixty mile range.  However, if
my explorer is totaled I have to admit I would replace it with a nice 1/2
ton long bed extended cab pickup.  And if I were traveling on a regular
basis - bigger is better.

On a happy note, the South Haven Police found my door and I'll pick it up
this week!

And kudos to the Rose Bush Fire Department for the excellant care.  They
hauled the trailer to the fire station, took us to a hotel and left someone
with the truck to make arrangements with the tow company.  And these are
volunteers!

Don Jackson

The Jackson Group
530 S. Whittaker