[a/s] Electrical

I just purchased a 1975 Argosy 28' pull behind. The interior lighting is becoming a puzzle. The first thing I did was replace the inverter, thinking because of the "buzzing" and the red glow from a connection, it had shorted out. I replaced it with a new unit and still have the same problem. Whenever more than two (12V) interior lights are operated at full power, the inverter kicks in and out and at times a "burning" smell comes from the unit. I've felt the wires coming out of the inverter, and none are hot. If they were hot, I would suspect a dead short. I've tried isolating connections by removing one at a time, to try to isolate circuits. It doesn't seem to matter what circuit I disconnect, whenever theirs a load, the inverter doesn't seem to want to handle it. Keep in mind I am having the same problem with the new replacement inverter as I did with what I would guess what the original installed in '75. To further complicate the matters further I have tried shutting off specific lights, thinking one has a dead short. To date, no combination of lights, on or off seem to indicate this. Also, the inverter is not blowing fuses.  Has anyone had a similar problem?

Dennis