[a/s] Cody to Buffalo. WY June 17, 200

Today was amazing.

A few years back I went to Laramie Wyoming, with a friend, and stayed at a
guest ranch.  While we were there the U of WY was herding their cattle from
the winter pasture to the summer pasture ....which led them by the ranch.  We
jumped on horses and went and joined them for a ways.... it was the most fun
thing I've ever done in all my years riding horses.

Fast forward to today...we are driving through a small town and came upon a
cattle drive...right down through the highway and the town!!!  All of a
sudden my rig was surrounded by cows.... Mama cows yelling for babies, two
bulls.... feeling rather randy, and darling little calves looking a bit
confused.  It appeared to be a real drive, but with some "dudes" taking up
the rear.... their riding style gave them away.  My second cattle
drive...this time without a horse I'm sorry to say.  The whole thing took
about 30 minutes... Don took some photos... check it out.

Then we went up and over through the Bighorn National Forest.... Up and down
4,000 feet.  I watched the arid bottom turn into verdent meadows full of pine
trees.  The top of the range was flat for a while, Prune Creek (River?)
rushed down toward a waterfall... all of a sudden, there along the river... I
saw him munching happily... the elusive Bullmoose!!!!  This was the one I
have been searching for, he had a huge set of antlers.... he was splendid
there in the brush.  I slammed on the brakes and we took pictures!!!  So
exciting.... I could have watched him all day, except it was 40 degrees and
quite windy.  We continued on and the east side of the mountains were above
the clouds...we descended in pea soup.... it was a bit hairy for a while
until the clearing.

We are now in a town called Buffalo.....

We did all the tourist stuff in Cody...a town with more tourist stuff to do
than any town we've seen.  We did the Bill Cody museum... inc the gun museum
and the art museums inside.  We did breakfast at the Irma Hotel (Irma was
Cody's wife).  We did the Wild West Show next to the Irma...every night at
6:00 pm. We walked and looked in all the shops and galleries...I went into
one gallery to find out if they had that Balciar sculture I wanted... seems
the one back in Jackson is the last of the edition...so I called Jackson and
bought it.  They are holding it for me until I lite someplace. (c:  It's too
big for the trailer.  Balciar is the artist who did the 18 foot Canyon
Princess which is at the Cowboy Hall of Fame...

We did not do the rodeo, simple because it was too wet, cold and windy.  I
mean it hailed one afternoon.... got down in the 30s at night..... this is
summer????

Anyway.... that's what's happening.  Very excited about the cattle drive and
the moose (c:

Hunter

JPEG image