Re: [a/s] Yellowstone - June 13, 2000

glad you are enjoying the area. IMO its the best, except winter which is
long & cold. There is often snow in cody on july 4th.
This time of year the bigger animals start to follow the snow up the
mountain into higher timber. At the elevation of yellowstone, cody (+/-
6500') you will see lots of dear & buffalow, but its almost to late for the
male mouse.
There are several mom & calfs just outside of the east entrance on the road
to cody now, one is camping in the meadow in back of my daughters cabin.
Look on the right as you come out (south) between the hwy & shashoony river.
There is also a mom grisly with last years cubs in the same area, bears
black & griss keep their cub for several years. If you camp in the NFS areas
on the river ( there are about 8-10 campground) on the way to Cody you will
often see the larger animals in the river earlly or late. These however are
primitiive camps with pit tolet, hand pump for water each 10 sites or so &
no electricity.
The road out of Yellowstone from yelllowstone lake to the east entrance is
more through timber & mountain, you will go over/through Silvin pass, which
you should do slow pulling the trailer.
In Cody please take in the Bill Cody Musem. Its $10.00 for 2 days pass.
4 seperate musems. 1. Wincheser musem, largest colection of historic &
western firearms in the world. 2. Cowboy musem, mostly Bill Cody stuff but
real interestimg. 3. Plains Indian musem, 4. Western Art .  It can take more
than a day to take it all in.
The road from the east entrance to Cody is called the Yellowstone Hwy its 52
miles, mostly narrow twisting mountains driving, but no grade so its easy
but you average just 30 or so till you get to the Wapity Valley. Many think
its the prettiest drive in the country.
For real scenery go north out of Cody to the Chief Joseph Scienic drive, you
wont believe it unless you drive it, it eventually dead ends into another
road, to the left into Cook pass & Cook City Montana & the NE entrance back
into Yellowstone, however to the right you go to & across Beartooth pass.
This is a drive of a lifetime. Don't pull the trailer & make sure your
exsaust brake is working but its great, 1/2 up is Beartooth Lake a pristine
alpine lake, then you start some 8% grades & you need to keep the speed low
as the road is not to wide, but you will love the view, you get above the
snow & tree lines & cross the top around 11,000' if I remember correctly.
You eventually come down into Red Lodge Montana which is IMO more charming
than Jackson, kind of the same but no juppy tourist stuff.
I could go on for pages, but let me just say a few days is not enough,
Wish I was there with you, but just came back a few months ago, & wont be
back till late summer or early fall.