[a/s] SouthWest CO-Awesome

Hunter and all,

The "Million $ Highway" is a very hilly road which is close to 11,000 feet
high and is within the San Juan Skyway which is about 230 miles long.  The $
road is between Silverton and Ouray, so I think its about 50 miles or so.

> So, are you saying  should avoid it?  Brusier doesn't really know the
trailer
> is back there on hills.

I thought that if I was to go back there, (and I hope to), I would ride the
SJS again without the rig and figure out which campground to go to...and I'd
plan on being in that area for a week or more.  IThere are campgrounds
around the SJS and are in some of the most remote areas of the very hilly
terrain.   haven't looked into the TL camping guides but certainly would
check out the CO tourism booths for any info.

We saw a huge "mega-bus" come thru with a Suburban in tow.  We smelled his
brakes for 10 minutes after he went thru.  Travelling along the roads isn't
dangerous in good weather...just keep to the posted speed limits and pay
attention.  Its outstanding.

Rte 160 runs E/W across the bottom of CO.  There's no traffic and lots to
see....a long day's ride from Colorado Springs to Cortez.  We decided that
we'd split it up on future trips to take in a scenic area and drive near
Stonewall, CO.

I have a book called " The Most Scenic Drives In America" by Readers Digest.
It has very good descriptions of drives like this throughout USA.  It is a
very well-organized book and is available over Amazon.com  which we found
was the cheapest in '98.

Good Sam had a write-up on the Million $ Highway a few years ago....I put
those things into the back of my head for future use.  Scary, huh?

Rich Walbridge
mailto:richwalbridge@airstream.net
WBCCI#3371