Re: [a/s] DeLorme GPS

No digital camera here. I forgot to mention that I can slide the mount for
the computer's case forward. In normal use, the compputer is slid forward
about 8-10 inches and the screen is almost touching the dash. It is also on
a swivel (a lazy susan bearing, really), so I can turn the screen to either
side for best viewing for either the driver or the boss.

I really have no concern about viewing it while driving - it is more like
glancing at the speedometer than it is like reading a newspaper. Really
doesn't take your eyes off the road any longer than checking the speed.

My laptop is an IBM thinkpad model 1411, and handles direct input from the
truck's 12V auxiliary battery system, so I don't have power supply
problems. I think most people who use laptops in their vehicles just use
simple cheap inverters to power the 110VAC "charger" thingie.

On the subject of GPS navigation, I noticed an ad this past weekend for a
competing system (I think it was "streetfinder", or something like that)
for only $80 including the software and GPS. Might have been at Best Buys,
or perhaps Circuit City

Jerry  W4UK