[a/s] Electric trailer jack

I have run into a problem on a couple of occasions with the electric jack on my trailer jamming.
Once I have connected the tongue with the hitch ball and raised the trailer and towing vehicle to connect the sway bars and safety chains, I cannot get the electric jack to lower. When I attempt to lower at this point, there is a clicking sound like the jack is not catching.
Recently, to remedy this, I had to improvise a couple of manually operated jack to raise the
trailer and vehicle to where pressure was taken off the electric jack, and the electric jack operated properly. My Airstream, unfortunately, did not come with a manually operated jack.
Has anyone else run into this problem and found a better solution to a sticky electric jack?
Am I perhaps raising the trailer and tow vehicle too high?
Thanks everyone for your input!
Best regards,

Keith W.
'70 Tradewind 25'