Re: [a/s] A/C Question on 75 Argosy

	I'm going to play the devil's advocate, and give an alternate point of
view on replacing the Armstrong.

	Right off- this is info that I got of the 'net somewhere, but I don't have
the site bookmarked ( it was "pre-crash ;-).

	Now- as I understand it, the base pan that A/S came up with when they
switched away from the Armstrong unit was 1/2 for water drainage, and 1/2
for roof support. As I understand it, because of the "monocoque"
construction of the A/S, if you plop the entire weight of an A/C on the one
spot on the roof, you might have problems.

	Two personal experiences that lend credance to this are- when we bought
our first A/S, I had the dealer swap our Coleman for the original
Armstrong- it was in the deal for the trailer. It took them nearly a day to
do the swap- and unfortunately, I didn't pay any attention to how they did
it- though they did not use a base pan. I do know that they framed out the
original opening with wood, and lifted the A/C up off the roof, so that the
entire weight was on the "ribs", and none on the sheet metal.
	Another trailer that I worked on had a Duotherm added directly to the
roof- it wound up cracking a rib- I don't know that it was the A/C that did
it.

	I do know that the uncertainty of the roof support issue has kept me from
replacing the Armstrong on our present A/S- but take this all with a grain
of salt, as I'm not really sure.

________

	Chris Bryant
	Bryant RV Services