Re: [a/s] Zip Dee Awning

John:
I think it would make sense to unwind the spring to zero tension .... The caution is to not remove the arm from the head... The instruction book says separate the arm and keep the upper part attached to the roller.... Pull the awning out far enough so that you can go around with the upper part of the arm.... The arm gives you enough lever arm that you won't break your hand or wrist if the spring comes loose...

I got a short course in Zip Dee at the factory and the spring is in the left hand side as you face the trailer... I would recommend contacting the factory for all the installation and parts books before taking it down...

When you put the roller back up, you can adjust the tension the same way.  Pictures are in the manual....

Good Luck

Jim