Re: [a/s] Re" Tow Vehicles

Hi Rich, I will try to respond to each of your queries as best as I can.
    Although we have traveled all throughout the U.S with the exception of
13 states, we have not had this rig very long. We have been through eastern
Canada, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Georgia, N. and S. Carolina, Arkansas,
Tenn. NY, Pa. NJ, Maryland, Delaware, Florida, Mississippi. Probably the
most challenging HD hills were encountered approaching Helen Ga. and in Pa.
Not very high in elevation compared to the west coast, however the degree or
steepness in some situations was as severe.

    Although we have not had any problems with overheating, last year we did
have some concerns. Our radiator temperature gauges seemed to be moving
dramatically from its normal operating temperature range up to but not into
the red area. This happened during the extreme heat we encountered last
summer. We were climbing mountains in upstate NY. The outside air
temperature was in the 90s, our AC was on. I do not have a transmission
temperature gauge. When we returned we had the cooling system checked out.
It was fine and we were told that this should be expected in the severe
conditions we were towing. Our Astrovan has a heavy duty radiator and a
transmission cooler.

With regards to the brakes. When we had our Astrovan setup by Can-am-rv the
brakes were checked by a local mechanic shop recommended by Andy Thompson. I
believe that they replaced the front disc brake pads and re-surfaced the
rotors. I am sure that the pads and rotors were done on our Airstream by
Can-am-rv. I am very satisfied with our trailer brakes, they are vacuum not
electric. Our rig stops faster with the trailer than without. However, we
lost the trailer brakes for a short trip last fall. We were on relatively
flat roads here on Long Island. We were able to stop but I did feel uneasy
about the possibility of the tow vehicles ability to stop the rig quickly in
a severe down hill situation. Of course in conjuction with downshifting and
tow vehicle braking we could stop - the question would be how quickly in the
event of a total brake failure of the trailer.

I have in severe situations reduced my up hill speed to 40 mph although, not
often. Sometimes I will overspeed downhill in an effort to shed speed going
up hill when ever I can anticipate a long grade. In going up long grades I
usually disengage the cruise control because I do not like to hear the
engine screaming in an attempt to satisfy the speed controls setting. I have
never felt that we did not have the power to make a hill. I do not attempt
or care to pass going up hills. We usually drive in the right lane anyway.
Both my wife and I share the driving and we both have patience.

The Astrovan handles the Airstream very well. Last year a 65mph my wife
Joan, was at the wheel when we got a blow out in the trailer. She heard this
loud explosion, and didn't know what it was. She absolutely did not feel a
thing. I had to tell her we had a blow out. By the time we pulled over some
of our wheel well trim had been damaged by the blown tire. I rocked the
other axle tire onto a chock and removed the damaged tire. In 15 minutes we
were back on our way to the next exit on route 95. We were very encouraged
by the handling of our rig in this situation. At that time I had both
anti-sway friction bars in use. Sometimes while traveling 50 or 60 miles or
less I do not use the sway bars.

We have found that our most efficient speed is about 57mph. I have compared
some notes with other Airsteamers that tow with suburbans. It seems that
while we get better overall mpg they have a lower percentage of mpg loss
when towing. While not towing we get about 25mpg towing we get about 15mpg.
Others with suburbans seem to get 33% less mpg while towing. We lose about
40% mpg towing vs. mpg without towing our Airstream.

If I remember correctly the Astrovan is rated to tow 5,500 lbs.. We
installed lower profile tires instead of changing the rear end. I hope you
find this information useful. One thing that I am absolutely confident
about ---that is our Astrovans ability to maneuver and handle our Airstream.
Joe from Long Island.