Re: [a/s] Tow Vehicles

	O.K., I'll throw my $.02 worth in on tow vehicles. Bear with me here...

	As I see it, the biggest reason to go with a truck over an auto is vehicle
construction. Trucks are built "body on frame" (like cars used to be),
whereas nearly all current production cars are "unibody" construction ( I
*think* that the big Ford Crown Vic/ Mercury whatever is one exception, I'm
not sure if Caddy makes a body on frame car currently, or not).

	I'm sorry, I just would NOT try to "rig" a hitch to a unibody car, which
is basically stamped sheet metal. Note that if the unibody was specifically
designed for towing, it could be made strong enough, but none of them are,
at this point.

	Hitch recievers are "V-5" rated to their rated capacity. V-5 means that
there are 5 different forces that a receiver must withstand. The tongue is
exposed to three major forces- vertical (up and down), transverse (side to
side), and longitudinal- push and pull. The brackets where it attaches to
the vehicle is subject to vertical and transverse (though I don't know why
they do not list longitudinal for the brackets).

	Anyway- when they rate receivers, the largest part of the max rating is
the attachment point of the tow vehicle. This is why IMHO- it is foolish to
recommend or use most automobiles to towmore that the rated load.

	Onse we get past the hitch, we have drivetrain, and brakes. As far as
power is concerned, many current automobiles will have adequate power, but
at a price. The typical Auto engine produces high horsepower at a high RPM,
whereas most truck engines (and older auto engines) produce lower
horsepower, but more torque (pulling power). If you could wind a
powerstroke out to 6000 rpm's, you would have on the order of 600 horsepower.

	Next on the drivetrain is the transmission. In a front wheel drive
vehicle, the tranny is one piece with the differential, and I'm sorry, I
just do not think they are strong enough for towing. Same with axles- the
cv joints are a week spot (IMHO).

	Brakewise, a lot of newwer automobiles have superb brakes.. but... they
just are not massive enough to absorb and dissipate the amount of heat
generated by trying to stop a 3-4 ton addition. If your trailer brakes will
always work, some might think this a none- issue.

	O.K.- after that rather long winded rational on why I like trucks for
towing (or older cars- hey, a mid 60's 500 cid caddy would pull an A/S just
great- better if it is a convertable ;-). what I have towed with.

	For my '75 31' (6600 lb axle weight, 7150 total- always using "standard
Reese weight distributing gear- no sway control.. a little more than
400,000 mile total), I have used-

	1'st- a '79 Checy 3/4 ton, short WB van- 400 small block. Likes- plenty of
power, good brakes. Dislike- pretty "squirrely" feeling.. I could tell that
the trailer weighed much more than the van. O.K., but not *great* towing
experience.

	The next two vehicles were a '76, and then an '82 Chevy 1 ton cab &
chassis (350 engine, 4 speed <really 3 w/ a *granny*> ) with 14 foot boxes
on them. Likes.. err, I didn't really like them at all, but, they handled
the trailer like it wasn't even there. Way underpowered, but I never got
stuck, it just took a while. (Note- these trucks were way overweight
*before* I even hooked the trailer to them- 13.000 lbs. That made me over
20,000 lbs w/trailer).

	The next two vehicles were Ford "cube" vans. Both w/ 460 engines and c-6 3
speed transmissions. Even though the first one was heavy (13,500 lbs.), I
could run up and down hills very well. The second one was my private
vehicle (the previous heay trucks were company vehicles), so it was light.
	Even though these two cube vans were the equivalent to towing the trailer
with a 25' motor home, and the rear overhang was substantial (from memory-
it was probably 6-8 feet between the ball and the rear axle), they towed
great.

	My finale tow vehicle (the one I still have) is an '87 Ford crew cab
dually w/ 460 engine and three speed auto transmission. Super tow vehicle-
it weighs more than the trailer, very long wheel base, scads of power (I've
*never* had to downshift, or slow below 55-60 on any *interstate* grade-
unless it was to stop at a gas station:-( .

	The funny part is that I don't tow hardly at all any more- our poor '78
hasn't left the place since we bought it.. Oh well.

________

	Chris Bryant
	Bryant RV Services
	DeLand, Florida