[a/s] 57 CARAVANNER FLOOR

Hello all.  I have a '57 22' Caravanner I have just purchased.  The floor
under the front window and along the entry door needs replacement because of
rot.  I read at the Airstream FAQ that there are a couple of ways to do it.
What is the best way to do thius and sustain the integrity of the trailer?  I
was wondering if the floor could be cut out, a new one cut to fit, then drill
access holes through the bottom pan.  I would then screw through the floor
and up into the side walls.  The access holes could then be plugged with
plastic caps.  Feed back would be appreciated, also, I hate reinventing the
weel, so what are some other options?
Thanks in advance.