Re: [a/s] Sealants - Ex- & INterior

Bearcatcher/cici,

There's something I don't understand about your sealant suggestion.  It is
sensible to want the wood to "breathe" so that moisture isn't trapped and
allow conditions for rot a.k.a. mold/mildew to develop.  But if the sealant
is being used to keep water from going in one direction, how does it let
water through in the desired direction----unless it is GoreTex?

Being generous with the sealant would seem to defeat the breatheability.  I
would think that more moisture escapes through windows and vents or some
such path of least resistance.  Of course, if the wood in the floor is
absorbing water from somewhere, I certainly wouldn't want to seal up over it
or that water will remain and rot the floor.

I guess the gist of your recommendation is a sealant with mold inhibitor,
since it is the mold that is the "active" part of rot and not just water.

Toxic products are sometimes necessary to do a desired outcome job---but I'm
as ready as the next person to avoid them whenever possible.  Obviously the
material is going to have to be toxic enough to inhibit mold at the outset
with some lasting potency.

Jay L. Griffin [a.k.a. Jrnymn "Journeyman"]
http://homepage.dave-world.net/~jrnymn/jrnyindex.htm
  /  '--'       [ ] O  )   Overlander '56 26'
  :-----O O---------------^#6066 WBCCI / VAC