[a/s] Zip Dee Awnings

Our 71 Tradewind has 3 zip dee awnings on it, one on each side and one on
the rear. Mechanically they work fine and the canvas is in real good
condition. However at least 2 of the 3 have some tape over a couple of the
sewn seams, it appears the thread has given way.  Is this a common problem
with older awnings where the canvas is good and the stitching comes out?  Is
it feasible from a economical standpoint to have them re-sewn. I would like
to hear from others who may have ran across this problem and their
solutions.
Thanks
Tim & Cindy
71 Tradewind