Re: [VACList] Air conditioning help

Pete
I feel your pain. I went thru the very same thing with the old Armstrong unit on my
'73 Ambassador. I got a lot of use out of it though because I was able to spin the
fan and get it going, even made me something to spin it with without having to use
a ladder. Eventually this quit working so I eventually narrowed it down to the fan
run capacitor. The capacitor on my unit wasn't even close to where the wiring diagram
said it was, or at least it took me awhile to find it. It is actually like three
capacitors built into one unit. I took mine to various places in search of a
replacement until someone said that I could just wire in another capacitor just for
the fan. I got a capacitor that matched the rating for the fan run capacitor, cost
about $1.50, and using the instructions supplied by Dr. J (which I still have on file)
installed the new capacitor. Worked great, but two months later the thing just died,
and we were at the beach no less. Well we made a detour on the way home t!
 o Walts RV in Ocala and had him install a new Dometic Duo-Therm Penguin with the drip
pan, so the condensation drains out the belly as before and not down the sides like I've
seen some other units.
I have the part number for a capacitor if you want it, I'll have to get it tomorrow
though since it's out in the shed. But if you want to just R2 the unit get the Dometic
Penguin with the drip pan.
Bobby
'73 Ambassador (cool A/C and optional heat strip)
Valdosta, GA (Hot and humid)