[VACList] Air conditioning help

I know I've seen threads before, but never paid attention as my AC worked
great.  However, it recently developed a problem.  It is the original unit
in my '68 Ambassador.  The AC runs okay, but the fan freezes up and won't
turn.  I was able to let it sit 24 hours and spun it by hand until it worked
again, but it froze up again in about an hour.  Does anyone out there work
on these and are parts available?  I'm out in Salt Lake.  Am I better off
just replacing the unit with a newer more efficient one?  Any
recommendations for the best fit?  I'm just finishing up a totally new
interior which is not original but close.  Originality of the AC is not an
issue.
Ideas?
Thanks
Pete