[VACList] frame rust

You might consider pulling the trailer up onto some
cinder blocks or the like.  You only need enough
height to get your arms comfortably extended.  Use the
jacks at it's extremes to help when you're not right
under the wheels.

Be aware that you will need to remove all traces of
oil before painting.

I used POR-15 on some parts of my frame.  It was only
a few months ago.  Time will tell.  But, it really did
stick well to rust.  It doesn't stick well to smooth
metal or itself (if left to cure too long).

You might consider using a wire brush on that grinder.
 Work it just enough to get the loose flakes.  But, BE
CAREFUL.  A wire brush gone out of control is SCARY.
Smaller ones seem easier to control.  Practice in the
open and get a feel for how the direction of rotation
will affect the handling.  A tight spot on one side of
the wheel is fine.  The same kind of spot on the other
side of the wheel can spin out of control very
quickly.

I have a special set of clothes for that work.  I call
it my "play suit."  It's a zip-up jumpsuit for cool
weather and a set of cover-alls for warm weather.  I
would strongly recommend a proper dust mask (cartridge
filters and exhaust by-pass valve).  Trust me, you'll
get plenty of chance to use it!  I would also urge you
to use goggles, not glasses.  I had to remove a piece
of steel from my eye.  No fun.

Jon in SC
68 Overlander with a nice clean tail-end