RE: [VACList] Tow vehicle oil viscosity question

Greetings Joy!

My 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban has a 7400 VORTEC V8, and has always been
operated on the recommended 5W30 oil.  I purchased the truck new as a
special order to my specifications, and it now has 111,000 miles with
absolutely no engine problems.  It is a rare occurrence for the engine
to need any oil between its regular 3,000 mile oil changes.  My regular
GM dealer has performed all maintenance from day one following the
severe service recommended schedule.

Less than two years ago, we traded off our 1984 Oldsmobile Toronado.  It
had always been operated on the 5W30, and it had 214,000 miles when it
was traded.  It too rarely needed any oil between changes following the
same severe service maintenance schedule.  The same GM dealer handled
all of our maintenance work.

We also have a 1994 Chevrolet S-10 Blaze, 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88
Royale Brougham Luxury Sedan, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
Convertible, and a 1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible - - all of which
are operated on the 5W30 oil without problem, and none requires any oil
between their oil changes (these are cars that see less frequent use so
rarely accumulate 3,000 miles between 6-month change intervals.  These
autos are all also regularly maintained by the same GM dealer.  (Each of
the above cars has between 65,000 and 119,000 miles.)

Our GM dealer is a neighbor, and the garage is less than a quarter mile
from our home.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359