[VACList] adding water filter under sink

Cindy,

1a - With each of our Airstreams, we use a dual filter set up which I made
from filters and copper fittings purchased at Sears. I hang them on the rear
bumper and filter all water coming into our trailer. One filter is for
sediment and the other is for taste (a charcoal filter).

The hangars are shiny aluminum and each holds a standard filter cannister.
They were made specifically for Airstream bumpers and are often for sale
(used) at both the Sarasota and International flea markets. Over the last 10
years, I haven't seen new ones being sold. If I had, you know whose truck
they would be in right now.

Why filter all incoming water? I do that because I don't want sediment
accumulating on the bottom of my hot water tank. A long time ago in a far,
far away place, I was told the sediment in chlorinated water passing over
copper tubing forms copper chloride ions,  which - after attaching
themselves and settling on the bottom of the hot water heater, eat tiny
holes in the bottom of the aluminum hot water tank. Not being a chemist, I
didn't know if that was true or not, but it seemed to make sense.  So - take
the idea for what it's worth.

2a - In the Airstream we're using today ('89 32'), we have an inside filter
on the inlet water line. That filter is under the bathroom sink and is a
simple sediment filter for all water coming in and going to all faucets in
our trailer.

That inside filter doesn't get changed as often as the two outside filters -
BUT it does get changed whenever I see discoloration in the filter. We also
had one of these filters (standard equipment) in our '77 31' Airstream. I
used to think our two outside filters were sufficient.  But after seeing how
quickly the insider filter accumulates chunks of sediment (the filter
housing is clear transparent), I changed my mind.

And even if the ideas in the above paragraph "1a" aren't correct, the ideas
in "2a" are sufficient for me to continue the practice of using two outside
filters.

3a - Also in this Airstream (scavengered from our '77 31' when we traded it
two months ago), is a second inside filter on the cold water line under the
kitchen sink with a separate faucet on the splash board at the back of the
sink. This filter is an Everpure QC2 filter with the active ingredient
silver (0.17%). It is there for the express purpose of providing safe
drinking water and for making delicious tasting coffee.

4a - You didn't ask, but I use only white hose for all water coming into our
Airstream.  Nothing new with that idea. But, I also regularly inspect the
inside of the hose for discoloration. When it's not pure white, I drizzle
bleach water into the hose, connect the two ends and let it set a while
before rinsing thoroughly.

The outside of our white hose has a mottled tan hue to some parts of it. I
believe that was from laying on the ground where iron deposits were
abundant.  That discoloration does not concern me.

> -2 My copper plumbing is a combination of sweat and compression fittings.
> There is a big compression joint after the pressured water entry.  Could
> this be a check valve?  Do I need a check valve there?

Cindy, someone else will be better able to answer your second question. I've
not seen the joint you described.

Bottom line - everyone knows water varies significantly around the
continent. How much or how little of our water gets filtered was our call.
One case of the "trots" got my full attention.  Even though I am no longer
an active mountain climber (ADK46R) who routinely drinks cool, clear water
from remote mountain streams, I'm very aware of giardia and its "gift."

Terry

PS - Tomorrow (03/15/03 Saturday), we head north into the Ocala National
Forest and several favorite campgrounds.  After that, there are three Elk
Lodges (full hookups - $ donation) on our itinerary of one night stands
before we reach Patriot's Point and my "Work Week" aboard the USS Laffey
DD-724.

If other Airstreamers should show up at this Naval Museum, it'll be easy to
find us. We routinely fly three big flags off the front of our trailer. The
center flag is Old Glory and each of the side flags are US Navy flags. One
is the traditional USN flag flown at Naval bases around the world and the
other is the Gadsden flag (a historical flag).

In February 1776, Colonel Christopher Gadsden, member of the Continental
Congress, gave the South Carolina Provincial Congress a flag "such as is to
be used by the commander-in-chief of the American Navy." It has a yellow
field, with a rattlesnake about to strike and the words "Don't Tread on Me."

These three flags will be flown every day during our stay at Patriot's
Point.