[VAC] Re: Porch Light on 63 Globetrotter

The porch light on your trailer appears to be what is known as a "Scare light", commonly used on Streamline and Silver Streak trailers, as well as, I think Airstreams.  Following are two earlier postings from the Airstream e-mail list dealing with these lights, and a possible replacement lens source.

A "scare" light is the term used by Airstream and
Silver Streak for the round exterior lights on the
outside of these trailers. They are enclosed in chrome
frames with clear lenses, and are made by Signal
Stat..I guess they were called "Scare Lights" because
at night you can turn them on to "scare" big wild
hungry animals, or human Campground
robbers!!lol....Anyone else have any ideas?? They
really are rather worthless as they project straight
outwards so they light up the next county and your
neighbor's trailer, not your camp site!
Arizona Silver Streaker..........

I found a source a replacement lens for our porch light.His name is
Ricky @ Tri-Cities Truck Parts in Tuscumbia,AL. He can be reached at
256-389-9094 before 5pm Central. Ask for part # 9016W.
The reason I need one is the low melting point of the plastic. I had the
"bright" idea of putting a halogen bulb in there. It sure was
brighter,but one night I left it on all night and awoke to a lense that
had a new "thermal" vent.
Yes, a painful story until I found a ready supply of the lenses.
By the way,these bulbs work great for backup lights as they are not
subject to 8 hour "stints".It sure makes the backup camera work better.
They can be had at a auto parts house like Autozone.
Hope this helps someone out there.

                       Mike Kent

              '73 31' International

-Tom