[VAC] Re: Porter Cable random orbital polisher #7424

Roger, the key here is to have a variable speed polisher.  Several years
ago, I started with a Wen polisher, 2 speed, but kinda funky on the pad
application.  I moved up to a Milwaukee variable speed, and Wow, it will
do anything.  It is heavy, and powerful and will jerk you off your feet
, just like Steve Martin, in "The Jerk".
Others here have used the Porter Cable and DeWalt, and Makita.   As
axial buffer/polishers go, they are all good, and they are all around
$200.  My Makita is lightweight, and has a good hook and loop system for
the pads.  I like it.  If you are going to cover any territory, use one
of those, with 9 inch pads.   If you are neurotic about swirls, and
can't get rid of them, even with AP-300, then you may have to try a
"Cyclo", or a drum type buffer.  The Nuvite rep at Bismarck last summer
had an electric, drum type buffer.  It was OK, but you still have to buy
the roller pads and they are expensive.  Don't talk about pneumatic drum
roller buffers, unless you have more money than Tom Hanks, in which
case, you can have the job done.  I think random orbital buffers, like
the two handled type you buy at Wal-Mart are for waxing cars, NOT
abrading Aluminum oxide, from old vintage coaches.

Bill Scott
Charter Member and Membership Chairman
Washington DC Unit,  WBCCI   #3221
Our Homepage;  http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/