[VAC] Towing Vintage Airsteams With Vintage Cars

Marc,

I haven't tried towing with one of old Chevys yet or towing the vintage
trailer with anything except home for that matter because it is a long way
from usable but I don't see any reason it can't be done.  The weight being
similar to the trailer should be adequate and the old Chevys have a strong
ladder type steel frame which a hitch platform could be welded or bolted to.
Your brother's '57 sedan would make a fine vintage tow car.  Even with
original engine and transmission and completely stock it should be able to
tow reasonable distances just for fun.

The major drawbacks in stock form that I can see are, the original two-speed
Powerglide transmission, if so-equipped, would be marginal for serious
towing, the drum brakes would have limited stopping power if the trailer
brakes were not working correctly, and the original generator would probably
be a little challenged although they must have been adequate in the '50s and
early '60s.   If your brother's '57 is equipped with a manual three speed
transmission or, even better, a three speed with overdrive, as many of them
were, it would tow well with the existing engine and transmission.
Overdrive cars were equipped with 3.73 "towing" differential gears and the
overdrive could be locked out by simply pulling a cable under the dash.

A later model TH-350 3 speed automatic can be bought from a junkyard for
around $150 and can easily be retrofitted; Classic Chevy International,
Danchuk, Master Power Brakes, and others offer a power disc brake kit that
is a bolt-on; and a larger capacity alternator from any a/c equipped later
Chevy is essentially a bolt-on modification.

I have seen discussions on the list of folks towing A/Ss with late model 4.6
liter Ford Crown-Victoria sedans.  The common Chevy small block of 350 cubic
inches is also described as displacing 5.7 liters.  350 divided by 5.7
equals roughly 61.4 cubic inches per liter.  61.4 cubic inches multiplied by
4.6 liters (Ford) equals roughly 282 cubic inches.  A '57 Chevy V8 was most
often equipped with a 283 cubic inch (a very few had the earlier 265 ci) V8.
Modern engines with electronic fuel injection, overhead cam(s), and computer
controlled ignition are more efficient but don't actually develop much more
torque than early V8s.  So if a 4.6 liter Crown Vic can tow an A/S, so can a
'57 Chevy with a 283 engine.  The new Crown Vics have "economy" gearing in
the range of 2.90:1 while the stock, Powerglide '57 Chevy had a 3.23 gear
and 3.55, 3.73, or 4.11 gears are available and are a bolt in modification
which would provide considerably more gear reduction/torque multiplication
and would make the old Chevy a stronger tow vehicle.  The old Chevy has the
advantage of a ladder steel frame to attach the hitch platform and probably
a few hundred pounds of additional stabilizing weight.

Once my Safari is ready to use I will probably install a hitch platform on
the '56 sedan and tow the trailer to car displays and parades just for fun.
I've participated in many charity car displays when there was little if any
shade to hide in and no refrigerator for refreshments.  A vintage A/S would
provide both plus a bunk to take a nap in.  I don't see any reason it
couldn't tow anywhere if updated with a better transmission, disc brakes,
and alternator.  I've seen nearly identical tow cars in the old WB caravan
photos.

Harvey