[VAC] Re: removal of black water tank shroud

Melanie &  David- I did this same project on my 64 Safari last summer. Sounds
like your set up is similar to mine. The rusted sheet metal pan had no angle
iron at all to it. I knew the bolts would never unscrew, so I latched onto them
with a vise grips and snapped them off by rocking back & forth. The holding
tank itself was intact, with no leaks.  After getting the pan off,  i decided
to have a new one fabricated by a local sheet metal shop- Took it to them and
they copied it, but I chose a lighter gauge of galvanized metal. They cut all
the holes,, and made the flange for the top. This cost about $60. I re-lined
the box with 1" styrofoam insulation  panel on the bottom to support the tank
snugly. The original fiberglass insulation only helped hold in the moisture
spilled from above. Perimeter was lined with 1/4" plywood, as the original.
Then I drilled my own holes around the top flange to be used for mounting it
back using Stainless steel  phillips head screws 3/4" or maybe 1" (remember the
floor plywood is 3/4"). This avoided having to through-bolt from above in the
finished bathroom floor. Tight spots were best done with a bit extension on the
power screwdriver/drill  I also drilled some holes into the bottom of the new
pan, and corners to provide drainage for future leaks. As I live in Colorado,
things dry out pretty quickly. I can post a picture of the old & new pans if
you think you could use them.  Hope this info helps your project. Jere Potter,
Ft Collins, CO