[VAC] Caravans to the ends of the Earth

Hi Jill,

    Thanks but I believe Toby has a good start in this area. I also believe
the whole point of this exercise is to generate interest or discover our
folly. It seems that opinions are abundant.
    Lets not forget that the 50's and 60's caravans were Wally Byam
Airstream Advertising Excursions. They had to finish these
"impossible"caravans with as many trailers and people as possible.
This is part of the mystique that we have all bought into
"Airstreams are The Best". They have out lived their competition!
They were built light & rugged and the factory learned how to make them
better with each new Caravan. In a sense the early caravans were test
laboratories for what worked and what didn't. The more caravans the more
creative the ideas.
    The Airstream Company of today would not reap the same benefits from
these new caravans that Wally's Airstream Company did from its support
of the Old Ones. Their present Market is not aimed at the individualist or
family seeking a measure of solitude and self sufficiency.A 34 foot Triple
Axle Trailer or a 48 foot Motor Home wont cut it in most of the locations
where I want to camp! They certainly wont make it down those small
French and Italian byways. However there does appear to be some
corporate interest in this type of market as the Company experiments with
smaller trailers. Let me just say, I have seen what they have and it is a
good start in the right direction.

    The bottom line is, if there is any foreign caravan interest, creativity
and drive will follow and find a way to make it happen.

Thanks for reading and responding!

WAM