[VAC] Re: towing with vintage CARs

Gerald,

I've been an old car enthusiast since I was a preteen (and still haven't
grown up or lost the interest) and among car enthusiasts, a 4.10:1 gear has
always been referred to as a lower gear/higher numerical gear.  I agree that
it is not correct from a scientific point of view but it has always been
commonly used among car people.  Maybe it originates with the comparison to
shifting down to a lower gear as in a downshift from third gear (direct in
an old 3 speed) to second gear because the effect is the same as going to a
lower rear end gear i.e. from a 3.55 to a 4.10.

Harvey