[VAC] Towing Vintage Airsteams With Vintage Cars

Roger,

I am working on a '66 Safari 22' and am considering putting a hitch on one
of my '50s vintage Chevys when the trailer is ready to use again.  I have a
completely original '56 Chevy sedan with 265ci engine and Powerglide
transmission which could tow it around town and for occasional special
events like parades but it probably wouldn't tolerate frequent towing.

It is however, very easy to update a '56 Chevy with a new 350ci crate motor
from a Chevy dealer and a rebuilt junkyard TH-350 (3 speed automatic) or
TH-700R4 (four speed automatic) transmission from a later Chevy.  Add a
modern high-output alternator, a power assisted front disc brake kit, and it
would be ready to tow.  These old cars had strong ladder frames underneath
and with a little modernizing could make adequate tow vehicles.  A pickup
would be even better.

Harvey