[VAC] Re: [Fwd: Help I need some info]

Derek & Jim,

For what it's worth I tow a 1976 31 Sovereign (7,200 lbs) with a 1987
1/2 ton , 350
engine with a 3.73 rear end.  It tows just fine and I have been across
this continent
at least three times over the last nine years including the Rockies.
Yes it is a
little slow going over the Crows Nest Pass and Monarch Pass, but I am
not in a rush
to get somewhere and not see what I am driving through.  For the first 3
years I
thought I had an extra transmission cooler, but learned it was an oil
cooler.  I then
added a transmission cooler.  However, after me pulling for those 3
years plus the
previous owned also had the same size Airstream, another 5 years I guess
the strain
on the transmission was a bit much.  After a total of 10 years pulling I
had to
replace the transmission.  To be very honest this could also have been
the result of
my less than diligent checking of the fluid level.

Last year we also went through Mexico on the Company Yucatan Caravan.
Now here is something many may not believe - our then President pulled
his 34 footer with a Safari van ( 6 cylinder!!)  We travelled together
every day for two months and I can tell you it seemed he could go over
the mountains easier than I could and overall he got better gas
mileage.  I helped our local dealer (Can-Am) at the Toronto RV Show Feb
8-11 (basically to talk about how great both the Airstream trailers and
our Unit & WBCCI are).  And, it was unbelieveable how many people were
prepared to argue that a Safari, Astro, Windstar or Intrepid could not
pull even a 31 foot.  The truth is they do it very nicely thank you and
the owners who have thousands of miles towing could not be happier.

Cheers,
Don McKelvay #19432
London, Ontario