[VAC] Re: Anodizing aluminum & script rehab

I think you misunderstood me, Gerald. The script part of the project is
done. No plating or anodizing needed there.  The re-plating idea was
abandoned, and replaced with the painting choice.  If it fails in a few
years, it can easily be redone with the described setup (removable script).
The anodizing is wanted for flat aluminum plates, my new 8 x 13 and the
Airstream name plates (front and back, and the one w/ bicyclist pulling
trailer ... that one also has my serial number). The main goal is to never
need to polish the 8 x 13 backing plate for the (now) painted script.

When I was in the children's furniture manufacturing business, we used
aluminum tubing (in a decorative application) which had been "bright-dip
clear anodized". (Alloy was 3003, H18. 1.75" diam. tubes, .035" wall.) It
gave a very durable shine, which I imagine could have been even better had
the raw drawn tube been polished prior to anodizing, but it went straight to
the anodizer from the tube mill.  Since 1000's of feet of tubing was done at
a time, we used a commercial anodizer in Rhode Island.  I don't think
they'll be very receptive to a request to do 3 or 4 travel trailer name
plates.  I probably need to find a metal artist who has a small anodizing
setup.

BH62GT/SC