[VAC] rub strip rehab - 62 GT

Yes, thanks again, Ray. (This is the rub strip around the bottom edge of the
skin, front and back - about 5' of mine was missing.)  I've still got all of
the rub strip off of the trailer. I hammered out the bumps, sanded out the
pits, and polished it to an obscene shine. The piece I got from you (and
some that I already had) had some pretty deep rock dings (from the front of
your trailer as I recall) and various scrapes and scratches, but I was able
to straighten it, screw it to a flat 2x4 (brass screw heads recessed in the
center groove), and run it over a very sharp joiner. (This is not for the
meek: very noisy, a little terrifying on your first try - remember I'm a
furniture maker when not working on the GT.)

I wiped the face of the strip with aluminum cutting fluid before each very
slow pass. Took 3 or 4 passes, each probably less than .01", and probably
reduced the thickness by less than 1/32" total. Then filed, wet sanded with
220/320/400/600 and buffed with compound. (You can get away with this much
material removal on some heavy trim parts, but not on skin.)  I'll wait
until I'm nearly done with my polishing and all exterior opening
modifications before re-installing the rub strip.  Thanks again, Ray.

(I can't recommend using woodworking methods for metal, but aluminum is
soft, and with an experienced operator, sharp cutters and proper
lubrication, it can be done. Cuts pretty nicely with a carbide blade on the
table saw, but watch the heat build-up. All standard disclaimers apply.)

BH62GT/SC