[VAC] Re: Spare tire

Jim,
I have found with other problems that AAA will help me. I blew the trans in
my 92 Suburban in No Place, ND and called them. The only question that they
had for me was how long was the unit and did I have an estimated gross
combination weight, which I had (just weighed at the beginning the trip).
They said that this was important to tell the wrecker driver what truck to
use. They came out towed us 35 miles, placed me under a nice shade tree and
never sent me a bill for the towing. Another time we had mechanical problems
while towing and again no problem as long as they knew what they were dealing
with. As far as a tire on the trailer, I can always place my warning devices
and drop the thing and go get a tire and with the tandem I can limp off the
road if I have to. If I blow 2 at the same time, I know the kids have been
collecting rocks and other heavy souvenirs that I have told them to leave
behind and I can deal with that too!

The bottom line is, IMHO, a spare is dead weight and takes up room in the tow
vehicle. My 68 just doesn't have a place for it and I I will probably regret
not having it with me someday. But until then that's just 30 or so pound of
"girl stuff" that I don't have to complain about being with us and that makes
the 3 women I travel with happy.
Ed
WBCCI/VAC 4425