[VAC] Solar - Simple Solutions

Hi Marc,
Here are the two articles. I hope they're helpful.
Terry

PS - We left the WBCCI Hobo Rally (200 Airstreams) in Blythe, CA today (Monday 02/12/01) and are
back in Yuma getting ready for the WBCCI East/West Colorado River Caravan that begins next week. At
the Hobo Rally, the solar guy was busy every day installing solar panels.

SIMPLE SOLAR SOLUTION
by Terry Tyler
tylerbears@airstream.net

Originally, we began using solar power because of nostalgia for specific primitive campsites in
the state park system. Our most memorable times were those early years in the 60s of tenting
and tent trailering in NYS Parks when we used a Coleman lantern and stove. We didn't have any
need for electrical power. Then, with our first travel trailer in 1965, we began using deep
cycle marine batteries. This started our search for a way to recharge the trailer battery every
day. The best system occurred after we learned sunlight could be converted into battery power.
As conservative users of electricity, we found one solar panel provided a generous flow of 12
volt power on sunny days. Unexpectedly, we learned on rainy days, it generated sufficient 12
volt power to replenish what was being used by the radio and lights. As our experience using
sunlight to recharge RV batteries evolved, we learned the following:

A - WITH TWO PEOPLE, ONE DEEP CYCLE MARINE RV BATTERY, ONE 53 WATT SOLAR PANEL AND NO OTHER
SOURCE OF POWER, WE HAD SUFFICIENT SOLAR POWER FOR:
1 - use of CB radio on emergency standby 6 hours daily,
2 - use of AM/FM radio during news and weather segments twice daily,
3 - use of one fluorescent light turned on from dusk to bedtime,
4 - use of water pump to wash selves and dishes, no showers and using campground toilets
occasionally,
5 - fully recharging one battery during daylight hours on either sunny or rainy days.
6 - Use of a permanently mounted Solar Guard gauge showed incoming solar power equaled
consumption on rainy days and was greater than consumption on sunny days.

B - WITH TWO PEOPLE, TWO DEEP CYCLE MARINE RV BATTERIES, TWO 53 WATT SOLAR PANELS AND NO OTHER
SOURCE OF POWER, WE HAD SUFFICIENT SOLAR POWER FOR:
1 - use of CB radio on emergency standby 24 hours daily,
2 - use of AM/FM radio and/or TV during news and weather segments three times daily,
3 - use of 1 fluorescent light turned on from dusk to bedtime with minimal use of 2nd
fluorescent light,
4 - use of water pump to wash selves and dishes, to take two Navy showers daily and to flush RV
toilet,
5 - fully recharging two batteries during daylight hours on sunny days.
6 - two hours use of inverter during peak sun to operate low amp items, i.e. computer, monitor
& printer.
7 - Use of a permanently mounted Solar Guard gauge showed incoming solar power equaled
consumption on sunny days.

C - WITH TWO PEOPLE, THREE DEEP CYCLE MARINE RV BATTERIES, THREE 53 WATT SOLAR PANELS AND NO
OTHER SOURCE OF POWER, WE HAD SUFFICIENT SOLAR POWER FOR:
1 - unrestricted use of the CB radio,
2 - use of AM/FM radio, TV or video player two hours daily, plus limited use of cooling fans,
3 - use of 2 fluorescent lights turned on from dusk to bedtime with minimal use of 3rd
fluorescent light,
4 - use of water pump to wash selves and dishes, to take two full showers daily and to flush RV
toilet,
5 - fully recharging three batteries during daylight hours on sunny days.
6 - three hours use of inverter before and during peak sunlight to operate electronic
equipment, i.e. the bread making machine, microwave, computer, monitor, printer, blender and
electric drill.
7 - Use of a permanently mounted Solar Guard gauge showed incoming solar power was greater than
consumption on sunny days.

D - WITH TWO PEOPLE, FOUR DEEP CYCLE MARINE RV BATTERIES, FOUR SOLAR PANELS (THREE 53 WATT AND
ONE 75 WATT) AND NO OTHER SOURCE OF POWER, WE HAD SUFFICIENT SOLAR POWER FOR:
1 - unrestricted use of the CB radio,
2 - unrestricted use of the AM/FM radio, TV, video player and cooling fans daily,
3 - use of 3 fluorescent lights turned on from dusk to bedtime with minimal use of 4th
fluorescent light,
4 - use of water pump to wash selves and dishes, to take two luxury showers daily and to flush
RV toilet,
5 - fully recharging four batteries during daylight hours on either sunny or rainy days.
6 - four hours use of inverter before, during and after peak sunlight to operate electronic
equipment, i.e. bread making machine, microwave, computer, monitor, printer, blender, electric
drill and hair dryer.
7 - Use of a permanently mounted Solar Guard gauge showed incoming solar power was greater than
consumption on either sunny or rainy days.

BOTTOM LINE -- Since using solar panels, abundant electricity has freed us from utility poles.
Life is short and we want it to be great no matter where we are. With our simple solar solution,
taking the road less traveled has become an even more exciting way of life, especially with a
restored Vintage Airstream.