[VAC] Batteries under side couch

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the note (below) in which you asked "what cracked and broke." First, I believe the
"stringer" cracked and bent downward under the weight of two batteries jouncing on it during 2
months and 4,000 miles of highway bumps. It did NOT break. That's a minor point, but accurate. Prior
to that cross country trip, I had been using one battery under the side couch.

To be fully specific, the cracked stringer was immediately behind the wheel well. My suspicion is
the wheel well was not caulked perfectly and water may have rusted that particular stringer more
than any other stringer (with the exception of the other stringer behind the other wheel well). The
weight of the second battery under the side couch may have been just enough more of a burden -- and
the combination resulted in the crack. At the time, I hadn't considered that possibility.

Your idea of "a rib (like on a boat)" is NOT what cracked. No fair being surprised - based on "if I
called it a rib...." Jim, I'm glad you asked for a clarification. I certainly don't want readers
jumping to conclusions based on my less than technically precise wording. To me, a rib is one of
many curved aluminum bars that start at the floor line and go up the side of the Airstream to the
roof and down the other side (like on an upside down boat). <grin>

There are two frame members traveling the length of the trailer from front to rear. What I am
referring to as "outside stringers" are pieces of metal (about 12" long) welded onto the outside of
both frame members as extensions of the horizontal cross members. Stringers support the floor area
outside the frame members. The stringers are within the area enclosed by banana wrap and belly pan.

Does this additional description help or am I still being imprecise?

Terry