[VAC] Re: Toyota towing

One thing that I failed to mention earlier is that it is very important that ANY tow
rig have a low first gear and a decently low reverse. To save excessive wear on the
clutch this is necessary. A lot of rigs these days are high geared even in first to
supposedly obtain better fuel economy. The Toyota with a five speed would be fine if
1st and reverse are adequately low enough. An automatic is fine with a good sized
transmission cooler installed. ................ If a five speed & two wheel drive
aren't adequately geared ................... think about a five speed in a four
wheel drive where you'd have the lower range for the tight manuvering situations
that do happen occassionally. With a 4 wheel drive you might need a drop hitch to
keep the trailer level. This should be no problem for a good welder.

Another item that has been previously mentioned is that some manufacturers these
days don't want a "weight distribution" type of hitch used or it might void any
warranty. I could see their point with vehicles that are unibody type of
construction. However for a rig that has a real honest to goodness frame under it I
can see no problems. I'm sure that Toyota still uses a real frame under their
trucks. However this is a very important issue to check out with the dealer. For
safety towing with the Toyota you really do need a weight distribution hitch for
better control, ............... especially in emergency situations.

Years ago I also towed with a 1986 Volvo 740 with a 6cyl. turbo diesel. This car had
unibody construction as well. I towed my Bambi behind it using a weight distributing
hitch. It handled very well though under powered. It never had any body damage from
using the weight distribution hitch as well. Solo mileage was around 30 mpg. Towing
it dropped down to around 15 mpg as it was really being worked. This is what a
diesel is designed for, to work hard, .................... but not to be "over
worked" though.

The V6 in the Toyota will have much more torque than the 6cyl. diesel ever would.

I just might visit the local Toyota dealer today as I'm curious.

Pat