[VAC] Re: Toyota towing

Bob,

I respectfully submit that it will be an idea you will regret.  It probably
will turn out to be false economy.

Here is the reason:

I tow a 34' with a fuel injected Ford 460 in a F250HD.  A friend owns a 1/2
ton 350 powered Chevy Suburban with which he tows a 24' Hi-Low, one of the
box trailers that allows the top half to telescope down over the lower half
reducing the towing height of the trailer by about 1# or more.

A couple of years ago he and I and two other trailering couples took off
together on an extended week-end trip.   We both gassed up as we left
Lubbock, TX then, because we were going to begin a climb up into higher
elevations, we gassed up again about 100 miles later in Clovis, NM.  My 460
Ford with a 9000 lb. trailer turned in 10.53 mpg if I remember correctly and
my friends 350 Chevy towing a much smaller and lighter trailer with little
wind resistance turned in 10.48 or something similar.  The point was the big
engine loafing is more economical than a smaller engine pulling hard.

Harvey