Re: [VAC] Tradewinds question (Brakes?)

Janis,

Does the "handle thingy" look like the one in this picture?  (I know it's
not a very good photo, but the general outline should be recognizable).

This is on a '58 Wanderer 18-ft.  The owner told me the handle was for the
parking brake, which sounds likely.  However, I'm fairly sure that this
means the trailer has hydraulic brakes instead of electric.  They may be
inertia-activated, in which case they *might* be salvageable, or they may be
designed to connect to the tow vehicle's hydraulic system, in which case
they definitely should be replaced.  Actually, I think most people just
convert hydraulic brakes to electric any more.

If this is what you have, others on this list will be more qualified than I
am to explain what kind of system it is, and what you need to do with it.  A
good trailer shop can probably give you good advice, and do the conversion
as well or better than an RV shop, probably for less money.

Don

SurgeBrake.jpg